Tuesday, June 3, 2008

003.

Inspired by the last of Dr Krug's class, I started going through all my old school notebooks and making a list of all the books in the margins (whenever a professor mentions a book that sounds interesting and isn't part of the curriculum, I write it down for possible future perusal). I've gotten an entire front-and-back in my journal so far, and it's only the first notebook.

Krug wanted to make sure his point hit home, and asked us to make a list of 100 books (and 100 pieces of music, 50 artists, 20 philosophers) that we think we need to know, and read those. He's big into reading; every class was essentially him telling us that we need to think for ourselves (which is probably why so many people think he's crazy). He is crazy, but in a very good way. Honestly, his class struck the balance between kick-in-the-pants (read! get involved! seek alternative sources!) and new things. He genuinely cares about us, and I think that helped his message a lot.

He definitely inspired me to step up my game. I only wish the rest of the class listened.

No comments: